Medigap Plan B

As with any other supplement plan Medigap plan B also provides additional coverage benefits left by traditional Medicare (parts A and B). Original Medicare covers 80% of healthcare services but Medicare beneficiaries may be responsible for the other 20% of the costs such as deductibles, copays, and coinsurance. Medicare Supplement Plans help you cover those out-of-pocket costs. 


Medicap plan B covers almost the same benefits as plan A but has one additional benefit- part A hospital deductible.


What Is Covered Under Plan B?

Plan B provides coverage for Medicare beneficiaries and includes:


  • Part A coinsurance (hospital costs up to 365 days after the additional benefits are used up)

  • Medicare Part B coinsurance and copay

  • First three pints of blood for a medical procedure

  • Medicare part A deductible 

  • Part B preventive care coinsurance 


What does Medigap Plan B doesn’t cover?

Medigap Plan B doesn’t provide coverage for these benefits:


  • Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance 

  • Medicare Part B deductible

  • Medicare Part B excess charges

  • Foreign travel emergency 


What is the cost of Medigap Plan B?

With Medigap plan B you will be responsible for Medicare part B deductible which is 223$ as well as costs of a skilled nursing facility, Medicare Part B excess charges, and foreign travel emergencies. Also, you will pay a monthly premium which can be 110$ to 210$ per month. Costs of monthly premiums vary by each individual person and it depends on several factors just like with the other standardized supplement plans.


Who should buy Medigap Plan B?

Medigap Plan B isn’t for everyone. If you want a minimum amount of additional coverage at a lower cost this plan might be a good option. Of course, in case you aren’t worried about hospital costs and don’t travel out of the U.S. very often so you are sure that you won’t need those benefits. 

However, if you would like to have more comprehensive coverage you should consider other supplement plans which may provide you with better benefits.  Nevertheless, you will need to pay more money for your monthly premium because more services are included.


When to enroll?

The best time to enroll in Medigap plan B is during the Medicare Supplement Plan Open Enrollment period which begins the first of a month when you are 65 and also enrolled in Medicare part B. This open enrollment period lasts 6 months. If you enroll during this period private insurance companies will not ask you to answer health questions and you can’t be turned down based on your pre-existing conditions.


However, if you miss the open enrollment periods you can enroll any other time during the annual enrollment periods but you may have to answer a health questionnaire and may be charged with higher monthly premiums due to the late enrollment penalty.


Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Request an advisor contact you TODAY!!